July 30, 2013
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Location: The Boston Foundation, 75 Arlington
Street, Boston, MA 02116 ~ 10th Floor, Dorchester
Copywriters and marketing writers with at least 1+ years of experience.
$525 member / $595 non-member
1) Complete a brief questionnaire to provide the trainer with insights about your background; 2) Bring two ads to class: one you love and one that you really don’t like; 3) Bring a sample of your own writing work that has given you problems.
:The Ad Club’s Copywriting Essentials+ Workshop offers advertising and marketing writers a one-day immersion in good copywriting practice. The training covers essential elements of persuasive writing and includes practical problem-solving, hands-on practice, and critique.
Participants will analyze what works and what doesn’t. You’ll learn techniques that will move you more effectively through strategies and make concepting more productive, drafts stronger, and your final product harder working.Key Objectives
Key Areas of Focus
- Understand the major elements of persuasive writing
- Learn and practice techniques that lead to good copy
- Learn to mine strategies for nuggets of strong communication
- Understand and practice what makes a voice or brand
- Practice working with visuals
- Practice editing and catching grammar errors
- Learn to adapt messages to different media
- Add to your writing toolkit
- How do you get someone’s attention? How do you hold it for a nanosecond longer?
- Why should a consumer listen to you?
- What’s the difference between a feature and a benefit? Does it matter?
- Where can you find ideas?
This workshop will answer these questions, and along the way, provide the opportunity to look at and learn from the good, the bad, and those ugly projects we all have to face.
About the Trainer:
Daisy Scott is an award-winning writer in commercial, educational and entertainment media. Her advertising clients have included American Express, McDonald’s, Ocean Spray, Talbots, New England Conservatory, Boston Lyric Opera, Stride Rite, MCP Hahnemann Hospital, Alere, and all the banks that Bank of America used to be, among many others.
Outside of advertising, she has written for the children’s public television series “Arthur” and “Peep,” produced by WGBH in Boston. Her work has also appeared on Discovery Channel, in the Boston Globe, in two travel anthologies and on TV in China. She’s written screenplays, letters to her senators and once she wrote one of those roll-up horoscope things you used buy at the counter in convenience stores. Those things are 35,000 words long.
Daisy’s awards include Hatch, ANDY, Clio Finalist, NEBA (Regional Broadcast), Design Show, ADWEEK’s Creative All-Star Radio Copywriter, and Most Enthusiastic: St. Joseph’s Pro-Cathedral School Eighth Grade Awards.
Daisy has taught creative strategy development and creative concepts for the Ad Club for the past 7 years, has taught at Emerson College, the Cambridge Center of Adult Ed, and has been in demand as a panelist for portfolio reviews in the Boston area for many years.
THIS EVENT HAS SOLD OUT. MISSED OUT THIS ROUND? CONTACT CLARE COX AT CLARE@ADCLUB.ORG TO BE ADDED TO THE WAITING LIST FOR THE NEXT ROUND!
Have Questions about PD? Contact Clare Cox at email@example.com